A Heroic Product Launch
CHALLENGE: Breakthrough a crowded market to gain visibility for a new product.
BACKGROUND: Ultrasound is a relatively low cost diagnostic imaging technology that is reliant upon the operator, typically a Sonographer, to acquire top quality images. The Sonographer can be a key participant in the decision making process, but is often overshadowed by clinicians, so most manufacturers do not direct campaigns toward them. As a relatively low market share player, the company needed to gain traction for Xario, their new ultrasound product with a curious name.
INSIGHT: People want to be heroes in their job.
STRATEGIC APPROACH: Develop an integrated campaign in which the Sonographer is a hero by using the new ultrasound system.
- Introduce Xario as a superhero character through a comic book that contains a series of adventures right out of the daily like of a Sonographer
- Roll-out the concept at the industry’s largest trade show through an integrated campaign which included booth graphics, pre-show advertising, direct mail, airport signage, taxi-toppers and taxi receipts
- Produce serialized, animated web episodes that bring the comic book to life
- Each episode highlights a specific technology benefit
- Corresponding sales collateral produced and distributed to the field in advance of each episode
- Gain high visibility by securing online sponsorship of an ultrasound community on the industry’s most prominent website, ensuring a consistent, returning audience
- Increase sales leads by integrating Xario into vertical trade shows through custom ‘take your photo with a superhero’ promotions
RESULTS: 325 systems sold, representing over $27 million in revenue. After the successful initial launch, the product subsequently achieved top customer satisfaction ratings four years in a row.
Gaining the right kind of attention for a new product launched into a crowded market can be a challenge. For this new product launch, the sales team didn’t have access to many of the competitor’s accounts and needed a foot in the door. So, we targeted key influencers who had been addressed by the competition. The year-long, integrated campaign was a resounding sales success…and a lot of fun, too!